As an Amazon Associate, The Miles Genie earns a commission from qualifying purchases.
$20 off of $50 on Amazon Purchases with American Express Membership Rewards
Amex and Chase points are generally most valuable when you redeem them for travel by utilizing airline and hotel transfer partners. For that reason, I generally do not recommend using points to pay for Amazon purchases. Amazon pay with points makes your American Express Membership Rewards points worth 1 cent each. Redeeming those points for travel can easily result in values of 2 cents per point or more if you learn how to use airline transfer partners.
For example, the value of our business class seats to Japan was ~$7,000. We transferred 100,000 Amex points to an airline to book those tickets. 100k points for tickets worth $7k is 7 cents per point! Since Amex points are worth 1 cent per point with Amex purchases, 100k Amex points would be redeemable for $1,000 in Amazon purchases.
That said, Amazon occasionally runs promotions where it does make sense to redeem Chase or Amex points.
Amazon is running a promotion for $20 off of $50 when you use American Express Membership Rewards points to pay for all or part of your purchase.
The operating phrase here is “…or part of your purchase”. That means you only have to use 1 point! Always read the terms, but for as many years as I’ve been doing this, I’ve never seen one of these promotions that didn’t allow me to use just 1 point.
If you have an Amex Membership Rewards earning card, log in to your Amazon account and register for this promotion!
Chase Ultimate Rewards/Amazon is running a similar promotion! Click here for that post.
Jack has been great all summer about reading so I just ordered a Nintendo Switch game for him to celebrate!
How to register
First, you’ll need to link your American Express Membership Rewards earning card to your Amazon account if you haven’t already.
Once you link your Amex Membership Rewards earning card, find out if you’re eligible. Promotions like these are sometimes targeted or limited to a certain amount of customers, but you can find out of you’re eligible here:
If you see the yellow “Activate now” button, all you have to do is click it.
That’s all you have to do to register. Next, shop for qualifying items.
Add $50 of products sold and shipped by Amazon.com to your shopping cart
According to the promotion terms, products must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to count towards the $50. Once you have enough in the cart, checkout using your American Express Membership Rewards earning credit card.
The pay with points function will usually default to the amount of points needed to cover the entire amount. For example, if you are spending $50, it would default to 5,000 points to cover the whole purchase. Remember, you only need to redeem 1 point to qualify for this promotion, so type in .01 instead. Click update and you’ll see that your point has been applied.
If you shop Amazon every other day like me, you might be on auto pilot when going through the checkout process. But it’s important to double check your payment method after using an Amex or Chase promo like this. When you register for promotions like these, Amazon usually saves pay with points as your default payment method. So make sure that you double check on subsequent purchases to make sure that you aren’t redeeming points that you weren’t trying to redeem.
Here are the official Terms and Conditions:
- This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end on the earlier of (a) 11:59 PT on 9/30/2020, or (b) the time at which 50,000 customers have redeemed the offer. The promotion button will expire concurrently.
- Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of at least $50 of eligible products, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion is applied at checkout.
- Offer only applies to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if they are “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $20 per eligible Membership Rewards enrolled card per one account
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your original order. If any of the items in your original order are subsequently returned, your refund will equal the original price of the product, less the proportional amount of the discount. The total discount on the unreturned amount of your original order will then be less than $20.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Membership Rewards points.
- Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
- This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Membership Rewards points card issued in United States.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
I normally do not suggest redeeming points with Amazon unless a promotion like this is available. 1 point to save $20 is a great deal! According to the terms above, this is limited to 50,000 customers so take advantage of it while you can!
Advertiser disclosure: The Miles Genie has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Miles Genie and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Comments below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. The comments have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.