Advertiser disclosure: The Miles Genie has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Miles Genie and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers. Editorial disclosure: Opinions, reviews, analyses, and recommendations are the author’s alone, and have not been reviewed, endorsed, or approved by any of these entities.
As an Amazon Associate, The Miles Genie earns a commission from qualifying purchases.
$15 off of $50 on Amazon Purchases with Chase Ultimate Rewards
Amazon has partnered with American Express Membership Rewards and Chase Ultimate Rewards cards to allow customers to use their Amex or Chase points to pay for Amazon purchases. I generally do not recommend doing this because your points are more valuable if you redeem them for travel, especially if you use airline and hotel transfer partners. Amazon pay with points makes your points worth 1 cent each. Redeeming these points for travel can easily result in values of 2 cents per point or more. That said, Amazon occasionally runs promotions where it does make sense to redeem Chase or Amex points.
Currently, Amazon is running a promotion for $15 off of $50 when you use Chase Ultimate Rewards points to pay for all of part of your purchase. Here’s the thing:
The key phrase here is “…or part of your purchase”. That means you only have to use 1 point! Always read the terms, but for as many years as I’ve been doing this, I’ve never seen one of these promotions that didn’t allow me to use just 1 point.
If you have a Chase Ultimate Rewards earning card, log in to your Amazon account and register for this promotion!
How to register
First, you’ll need to link your Chase Ultimate Rewards earning card to your Amazon account if you haven’t already.
Once you link your Chase Ultimate Rewards earning card, find out if you’re eligible. Promotions like these are sometimes targeted or limited to a certain amount of customers, but you can find out of you’re eligible here:
If you see the yellow “Activate now” button, all you have to do is click it.
That’s all you have to do to register. Next, shop for qualifying items.
Add $50 of products sold and shipped by Amazon.com to your shopping cart
According to the terms of this promotion, products must be sold and shipped by Amazon.com to count towards the $50. Once you have enough in the cart, checkout using your Chase Ultimate Rewards earning credit card.
The pay with points function will usually default to the amount of points needed to cover the entire amount. For example, if you are spending $50, it would default to 5,000 points to cover the whole purchase. Remember, you only need to redeem 1 point to qualify for this promotion, so type in .01 instead. Click update and you’ll see that your point has been applied.
If you’re like me and shop Amazon every other day, you probably are on auto pilot when going through the checkout process. But it’s important to double check your payment method after using an Amex or Chase promo like this one. When you register for promotions like these, Amazon usually saves pay with points as your default payment method. So be sure that you double check on subsequent purchases to make sure that you aren’t redeeming points that you weren’t trying to redeem.
Here are the official Terms and Conditions:
- This is a limited time offer. The promotion will begin on 7/28/2020 and end on the earlier of (a) 11:59pm PT on 10/31/2020, or (b) the time at which 46,667 customers have redeemed the offer. The promotion code will expire concurrently.
- Amazon reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
- Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
- This offer is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Chase Ultimate Rewards card issued in the United States offer is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible Chase Ultimate Rewards card issued in the United States and who have not previously used Chase Ultimate Rewards points to pay for all or part of a purchase on Amazon.com.
- Offer applies only to the purchase of at least $50 of eligible products on Amazon.com, where Chase Ultimate Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is applied at checkout.
- Promotional credit is applied before taxes and fees.
- Offer only applies to products shipped and sold by Amazon.com. Products sold by third-party sellers or other Amazon entities will not qualify for this offer, even if they are “fulfilled by Amazon.com” or “Prime Eligible”.
- Limit one promotion code per Chase Ultimate Rewards eligible card and Amazon.com account.
- Offer may not be combined with other offers.
- Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
- Offer does not apply to purchase of digital content or Amazon Gift Cards.
- Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your original order. If any of the items in your original order are subsequently returned, your refund will equal the original price of the product, less the proportional amount of the discount. The total discount on the unreturned amount of your original order will then be less than $15.
- If any of the products related to your original order are returned, subject to Amazon’s refund policy, you will receive a refund of the amount charged to your card first, followed by Chase Ultimate Rewards points.
- If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid.
I normally do not suggest redeeming points with Amazon unless a promotion like this is available. 1 point to save $15 is a great deal! According to the terms above, this is limited to 46,667 customers so take advantage of it while you can!
Advertiser disclosure: The Miles Genie has partnered with CardRatings for our coverage of credit card products. The Miles Genie and CardRatings may receive a commission from card issuers.
Comments below are not provided or commissioned by the bank advertiser. The comments have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser’s responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.