Bank Rewards/Transferable loyalty programs
I will do my best to keep this page as up-to-date as possible!
SPG (as of August 2017)
- Many airlines are 1:1 transfer ratio
- For every 20,000 star points transferred to an airline, you receive 5,000 bonus points.
- This is only awarded in increments of 20,000. For example:
- You you transfer 20,000 you get 25,000
- If you transfer 40,000 you get 10,000 bonus so 50,000 total
- If you transfer 39,000, you only get the 5,000 bonus.
All are transferred at a 1:1 rate. UR Rewards are so easy to earn (thanks to bonus categories and shopping portals), and I value them a little less than SPG points. So if I need airline miles from a program that is tranferable from both SPG and UR (such as British Airways) I will usually choose UR.
Amex MR (as of August 2017)
Each airline has a different transfer rate.
Update 7/2017: Great news!! British Airways and Iberia are now 1:1 transfer ratios. Even better news: through September 2017, Amex is giving a 40% bonus when transferring membership Rewards to British Airways. This means that for every 1000 MR, you get 1400 BA Avios!
Airline partners and alliances of note:
- American Airlines, Air Berlin, British Airways, Cathay Pacific, Iberia, Quantas
- Delta, KLM/AirFrance, AeroMexico, Korean Air, Alitalia
- United, Air Canada, Lufthansa, Singapore Airlines
- Is not part of an alliance but partners with several carriers
- Note that their partnership with Delta ended in April 2017, however, any reservations previously made will be honored.
- Their loyalty program is called Mileage Plan and it is one of our favorite airline programs for many reasons, which I will get into in a future post
- Is great for low fares, their companion pass, and possibly for “positioning flights” (more on that soon), but they do not partner with any airlines.
- They have recently added international destinations including Mexico, Central America, and the Carribean.