Chase Ultimate Rewards are earned with Chase-issued credit cards such as the Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Sapphire Reserve, and Chase Ink Business Preferred cards.
Redeeming Chase Ultimate Rewards
There are many different ways to use these points, but the best value is usually going to be to transfer the points to an airline or hotel program. Also, their travel booking portal allows you to redeem at a fixed rate of 1.25 cents per point with the Preferred version of the card, or 1.50 cents per point with the Reserve version of the card. There may be instances where this is not a bad idea. See two ways to use Ultimate Rewards. As always, do not use your points to buy gift cards or merchandise! You will almost always get more value by transferring points to airline and/or hotel loyalty programs.
Points are transferred at a 1:1 ratio to any of the Ultimate Rewards Partners
This may not look like many options, but since there is at least one airline from each of the 3 major alliances, it is possible to book several different types of award tickets and destinations. See airline alliances and partner list.
- Oneworld-British Airways
- Star Alliance-United, Singapore Airlines
- Skyteam-KLM/AirFrance, Korean Air
Here are the hotel options:
My favorite ways to redeem Chase Ultimate Rewards
I will post a longer list of my favorite redemptions with Chase Ultimate Rewards, but here are a few of my favorites:
- Airfrance/KLM are partners with Delta. Transfer to Airfrance/KLM then use to book Hawaii tickets on Delta. The exact same flight costs less miles to book economy tickets to Hawaii through KLM than through Delta, even though both programs are transferable from MR.
- If booking through Delta, the flight is 22,500 miles each way or 45,000 miles round trip.
- The same flight on Delta but booked with KLM/AirFrance FlyingBlue is 17,500 miles each way or 35,000 miles roundtrip.
- Use British Airways to book American Airlines flights in the US, Canada, and Mexico. See Mexico post. BA has a distance-based chart, so most contenintal US, Mexico, and Canada flights will cost less points than if you were to use AA’s own AAdvantage program.
- Use British Airways to book American Airlines flights from the west coast to Hawaii for 12,500 Avios each way.
- Transfer to Southwest. Bonus: if you have the companion pass, you get 2 tickets for the price of 1, even on award tickets. Note that points transferred to Southwest from Ultimate Rewards do NOT count toward earning the companion pass
- Transfer to Hyatt for some excellent values
More information about Ultimate Rewards is coming soon!
- Transferring to partners vs. booking portal
- Chase Sapphire Preferred vs Chase Sapphire Reserve
- How to transfer
- List of Ultimate Rewards redemptions (there are lots!)